A better quality of air makes for a better quality of life. Breathing easy is what the Honeywell 50250 with True HEPA air filter is all about. It’s two stage filtering process removes 99.97% of air borne allergens and odors. If you suffer from mold, pollen, or other allergies you know how important clean air is to your lungs. This air purifier is a great way to create a breathable sanctuary. It is a lightweight cylindrical air purifier that has a one-of-a-kind 360-degree air intake, and discharge, that makes for quick and superior air purification. Pet dander, mold spores, and even smoke are all captured in this compact inexpensive machine.
- Filtering Type
- Energy Consumption
- Other Features
- Consumer Rating
The filtration system of the Honeywell 50250 is a two staged process. The carbon prefilter is the first stage designed to catch most larger particles such as animal fur, air borne dirt, and hair. The carbon fibers also absorb the smells of the surrounding area to include smoke, litter boxes, and outside odors. Larger objects clog filters faster and because of this the charcoal prefilter should be replaced every three months. If you have animals, or you smoke, you may have to replace the filter more often.
Changing this filter is a very quick and easy process.
True HEPA filter
This “doctor recommended” filter is what makes the Honeywell 50250 so effective. It has a built in germ reduction agent that draws in and traps allergens. The pores on the HEPA filter are so small that is able to catch particles as small as three tenths of a micron, the size of a particle of smoke. It is the cleanest most effective filter to date. This filter is not a permanent fixture, but it is long lasting. With regular use the HEPA filter will only need to be replaced every three to five years. However, if you smoke or work outdoors you might have to replace it more often than that.
Honeywell has made the replacement of the HEPA filter as easy as possible. Once you have removed the charcoal prefilter you will want to discard the old HEPA filter. It is important to remember that you cannot clean this HEPA filter. You will destroy it! Once the new HEPA filter is removed from the package wrap it with the charcoal prefilter and place the filters into the base.
In order to get the seal of approval from the American Medical Association the Honeywell 50250 had to be able to perform at, or better, than its competitors. It does just that. At its turbo setting this air purifier rates excellent, in the consumer reports, in removing 99.97% of air born allergens and odors in a room that is up to 390 sq. This amazing feat earned it a CADR, or Clean Air Delivery Rate, rating of 250. One of the highest rating for an air purifier in this price range. The manufacturer recommends that you use your air purifier twenty-four hours a day. Make sure that the unit is at least three feet from a wall or large vertical surface. According to consumer reports, as long as the filters are changed regularly and the setting is left on turbo it will continue to function at this 99.97% allergen removal ability. If you use the machine in day time setting and night setting its ability is reduced slightly though it does a better job than other air purifiers in its price range.
Noise is the biggest determinant when deciding to purchase a Honeywell 50250. The white noise generated in the turbo setting forces many to speak more loudly, and turn their T.V.s to a higher volume. In some cases, this loud white noise is used to drown out apartment neighbors. Even on its nighttime setting the white noise generated is noticeable.
The Honeywell 50250 is able to purify the air in a room that is up to 390 sq. when it is in its turbo setting. It must be placed in, or near, the center of the room. The AHAM (Association of Home Appliance Manufacturer) has given this air purifier a CADR, or Clean Air Delivery Rate, is 250 out of a possible 450. In order to maintain this efficiency, the filters must be changed according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. The ability of this machine is reduced when it is used in its daytime and nighttime setting though it does perform better than those in its price range.
This table shows the electric energy usage alone for the Honeywell 50250-S.
Electric Energy Costs - Honeywell 50250-S Air Purifier Review
1) Energy costs = 12 cents/kilowatt (average USA price)
Data (C) 2016 ArtleyHome.com
The next table shows energy consumption in addition to filter costs.
Energy and Filter Change (Total) Costs - Honeywell 50250-S Air Purifier Review
1) Energy costs = 12 cents/kilowatt (average USA price)
2) Activated Carbon Pre-filter changed every 3 months
3) HEPA filter changed annually
Data (C) 2016 ArtleyHome.com
The Honeywell 50250 does need routine filter replacement. This feature is what differentiates the Honeywell 50250-N from the Honeywell 50250-S. The –N was featured as a permanent HEPA filter. However, the germ permanency became a deterrent. The Honeywell 50250–S was introduced so that filter replacement became a routine rather than a permanent. The 50250-S uses a larger filter and can filter more air than the 50250-N.
So that the Honeywell 505250 maintains it optimal abilities the charcoal prefilter should be changed once every three months, or once a month if you own pets. These filters cost anywhere from $10 – $15 per filter adding a $40-$60 annual cost or up to $160 annually, if you own pets.
The HEPA filters are recommended to be replaced once every three to five years. This is a fraction of the prefilter cost coming in at roughly $15 annual cost, or up to $50 for an annual filter replacement for pet owners.
The controls for the Honeywell 50250 are fairly simple. You must first plug in the unit. There are three settings you can adjust to with the control knob. There is turbo, daytime, and nighttime which is essentially high, medium, and low.
The Intelli-check filter indicators and reset buttons make up the rest of the controls. These indicators let you know when the charcoal prefilter, or the HEPA filter have become too dirty and are in need or replacement. When they become lit it is time to replace your filters. Once replaced you press, and hold, the reset button for ten seconds and the indicator will reset itself.
Other than its amazing ability to clean rooms up to 390 sq. of 99.97% of all air born allergens the Honeywell 50250 is also equipped with Intelli-Check indicators. These indicator lights will light up when your prefilter or HEPA filter have become too dirty to perform at optimum levels. Once you have replaced these filters press the reset button for ten seconds and the indicator system will reset itself.
The Honeywell 50250 air purifier is 18” X 18” X 19.6” and weighs 21 pounds. It has a top mounted handle for easy mobility. The cord is only 6-8 ft. long and does require an extension to reach the middle of larger rooms.
- Tried and proven air purifier. It has been around for years, and is a proven performer.
- Getting filters now and in the future will never be a problem.
- In its turbo setting this machine does exactly what it claims to do.
- The “doctor recommendations” are well earned and this air purifier does remove 99.97% of air born allergens in a room that is up to 390 sq. The charcoal prefilter plus the Tru HEPA filter catch microbes, and odors, .3 microns small. This includes mold spores, pollen, and even smoke. In the turbo setting it does a very good job of purifying the air for an extended period of time.
- This unit is considered light weight and only weights twenty-one pounds. Couple this with the top mounted handle and it is a breeze to move this air purifier from room to room. The Honeywell 50250 also comes equipped with the Intelli-check indicators that let you know when your prefilter and HEPA filter have become dirty.
- This machine is noisy. Even its lowest nighttime setting it still makes a sound that many find to be intolerable. When it is set to turbo many users have to turn the volume of their T.V.s higher, and even find themselves shouting. Other consumers have found that this loud “white noise” does a good job of blocking out noises from neighbors.
- While the air purifier does offer a unique one-of-a-kind three hundred and sixty design it is considered a bit of an eye sore. It sticks out like a sore thumb, especially in the center of the room. It does very little to add any ambiance to the area, and it is very difficult to blend in any kind of decorative sense. A black version is available, usually at a slightly higher purchase price, which may work better with your decor than the white version.
- The power consumption coupled with the quarterly charcoal prefilter replacements make this an above average machine for maintenance costs. For those that smoke, or have pets, these costs are even higher. Newer machines use less energy.
The over-all Consumer Reports rating is a 56. There are no other machines on the market that have a consumer rating this high in this price range. In order to get a rating just three points higher you would have to spend almost twice as much money. This machine does exactly what it claims to do and it fits the cost conscious budget.
The Honeywell 50250 comes with a five year limited warranty. Honeywell will warranty defects found be a result of poor materials or workmanship. It will not warranty any commercial, abusive, unreasonable, or supplemental damage. Defects and damage as a result of normal ware are not covered under this warranty.
The Honeywell 50250 can be purchased for under $200, depending upon the retailer.